Monday, October 3, 2016

Journal 1 Blog Post: Chapters 1-3

Journal #1: Chapters 1-3 
Robbins, N., & J. (2012). "Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics" (4th ed.). Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media.
Reflection: Chapters one and two gave me great insight into possible part-time job opportunities as well as benchmarks for filling the holes in my “computer/web-design knowledge.” Being in my first quarter in the EMM program, I was relieved to read that web designers do not learn all aspects of web design, or at least not all at once. (Side note: As a female and an educator I loved that Jennifer used the pronoun “she” when describing the different job descriptions of web designers!)
The chapter that struck the largest cord with me was chapter three. As an Educator, many of the chapter three’s topics apply in my own classroom. A web designer never really knows exactly how the pages they create will be viewed, who will be viewing them, or what accessibility limits, if any, their consumer base may have.
So how can we cope with the inescapable element of the unknown? Web designers should follow the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript standards as documented by W3C. As teachers we also follow a set of standards so this was very linear for me. Progressive enhancement is another strategy where developers start with a baseline experience then build on more advanced features for browsers that can handle them. This same methodology is also a great strategy when creating a lesson plan. I always start with a basic lesson then layer higher-level thinking based on the student’s needs and experiences.
Finally a designer must build for accessibility. Strategies developed for accessibility also benefit other users with less-than-optimum browsing experiences. Many of the English Language Learners (“ELL”) strategies I use in my classroom, such as visual vocabulary, movement based instruction, and think-pair-share benefit all of my students not just my ELLs.
Q1: After reading the futurefriend.ly site I found myself asking, how can I make my teaching “future friendly” not “future proof"?
A1: Every educator knows that every ten years or so there is a shift in educational practices. While we can’t know what is coming we can acknowledge and embrace unpredictability. Just like when a student asks a question and takes the lesson in a totally different direction than what I had planned. I have to realize that that is not only acceptable but should be encouraged. My lesson plans need to be adaptable.
Furthermore, I always love teaching with technology but I should also remember to make plans that I can adapt to new technology or no technology (you know for those days that technology decides it just doesn’t want to work). By making sure my lessons have meaningful content I can ensure that I can use them no matter what comes my way.  
Q2: How can educators avoid our own "Zombie Apocalypse" as stated in Scott Jensen's article "The Coming Zombie Apocalypse?"
A2: In the article Jensen states, we need "to embrace this coming zombie apocalypse not because we need to invent the future, but that our past is holding us back." Educators need to shed their old school thinking of not sharing lessons and keeping what they do in their classrooms secretive. Educators who don't change can be replaced, if not by a younger generation than by a machine that can do their job better (we have apps for that!). The more we share and communicate the more we can learn and improve. Take advantage of your colleagues experience. Try something new you heard another teacher trying at a different site. Use digital media and online resources to update and refresh lessons. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Finally, always reflect either on your own or as a team.   

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I was also relieved to read that web design is broken into smaller sub-specialties; the idea of mastering every facet of design is overwhelming, to say the least.

    Though I am not a classroom teacher, I am currently developing a research writing manual for my university to be used in conjunction with the graduate writing advising that I conduct. I am also learning to consider how my materials will remain relevant and accessible in the coming years both for students and others who wish to update them as technology evolves. Like you explain in your post, it is difficult to anticipate what new trends will arise; however by following best practice principles we can help future proof our lessons and materials to the best of our abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man it nice to know there are other people in the class that do this to. I also have that same mindset of trying to compare or adapt processes from other fields to things I’m interested in. Sometimes viewing problems from a different view point, in this case web design, really helps highlight the benefits and flaws in it. By the way welcome to the program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you say that we need to make our webpages adaptable for the future. That is a skill that is very important for us teachers, since we have to constantly be adjusting our lesson plans for every classroom.

    ReplyDelete